Fashion

What Not to Wear

kaftan

Over the years, I have learned what looks good on my tall frame and what doesn’t. There are however a few items I always struggle with as these pieces look nice on smaller women, but when us tall chicks wear them, it might look different as we have different proportions. I for one have rather wide shoulders, but I actually wonder if that is just the way I am built, or if you fellow tall ladies have this as well… But back to our topic of today, here is my list of ‘difficult’ items:

1. kaftan
I love wearing these when on holiday, going to the beach, to the pool, etc, as the are so comfy and it’s an an elegant way to cover yourself up a bit. However, when I saw a picture of myself wearing one, I was a bit shocked; As just established, I have wide shoulders (no, I don’t play water polo πŸ˜‰ ) and the shape of the sleeves of these kaftans made my upper body look like a HUGE square. Guess creating more of a waste line is the trick, but the wide sleeves still don’t help.

2. Maxi dresses
I like these, I recently posted that I am actually looking for one at the mo.Β Β I got a response pointing out that this might make us look even taller, and could create a ‘color block’. I don’t have an issue with looking taller, but the color block thing was a fair point. So the advice is choosing one with a pattern, and breaking it up with accessories like a chunky belt or something. Noted. I actually quite like this one, just have to get a different belt:

www.steps.nl

www.steps.nl

3. Flared jeans
Even though I strongly prefer wearing skinny jeans, I think flared jeans look awesome on our long legs, but ONLY if they are really, reallyΒ long enough. And I mean REALLY long enough. Even a few centimeters too short will completely ruin the look. So good luck with finding one. πŸ™‚

flared jeans

www.netaporter.com

4. Anything with shoulder pads or puffed sleeves
See #1: this is a no go for me as this will make me look like a rugby player, no matter how I pair it. I just won’t do it.

5. Spaghetti tops
Back to the shoulder issue again: I only wear spaghetti tops under blouses or tops, never as a top itself. Wide shoulders ask for wider straps when going sleeveless in my opinion.

So rather than sharing tips on what to wear, I am curious to hear your thoughts on what we should avoid wearing for a change! πŸ™‚

6 Comments

yourtallwardrobe
    15 May 2015 at 06:44

Completely agree. Good luck with the maxi find. Check out alloy apparel for some nice maxis xx

Tall Wife
    17 May 2015 at 19:47

Thanks, will do! πŸ™‚ xx

Beth @ LongLeggy.com
    18 May 2015 at 18:58

I have somewhat broad shoulders as well….maybe it is somewhat of a tall thing? I have been asked on several occasions by strangers if I’m a swimmer, so I commiserate with you on the “do you play water polo” thing. I’ve never tried kaftans (although I always love how they look on others). Now that you mention it, I can understand how one’s figure might get lost under all of that fabric and it could very well look all kinds of wrong. For maxis, I’ve decided that they must have a slit to show some leg otherwise I won’t buy them. I’ve bought non-slit maxis before and they just don’t feel sexy and flattering on me (and my husband agrees with this). I agree that a printed maxi is preferable! The one you have pictured has a slit, print, and the neckline I prefer…perfect! Re flare jeans, you’re 100% correct. They must be the perfect length otherwise it looks like you’re meant to be hanging with Noah waiting for the flood. I’ve been wearing skinnies a lot lately too but just bought a pair of 38″ inseam slim bootcut jeans from Tallwater Jeans that I had tailored to my perfect length. I’ll be featuring them on the blog later this week. Tallwater also sells flares so I’d consider buying a pair of flares from them knowing I could customize to my preferred length. I’m not really sure what my “don’ts” are as far as tall fashion. I’m going to have to think on this a bit. It’s an interesting question! Now that I’m thinking, the only one that immediately leaps into my mind is an obvious one – Don’t wear tops that are too short and ride up unless they are bona fide crop tops (which I’m not even sure I’m a fan of).

Tall Wife
    18 May 2015 at 20:01

I agree on the split; You remember I wrote about the ‘floral potato’ bag… I learned from that mistake! πŸ˜‰

I agree on the crop tops too; when you are older than 21 I don’t think you should wear them. Unless you are Giselle Bundchen… πŸ˜‰

Allison
    23 May 2015 at 23:34

My biggest struggle is finding tops that are broad enough (not a swimmer but mistaken for one often!) and the unintentional crop top. Formal/button down shirts should reach your wrists and not ride up your arm when you reach out for a handshake. 3/4 sleeve fashionability has helped in the problem, but I struggle to find something that is truly a nice, classic fit in the arm length and the shoulder width.

Also, I sometimes buy off the rack dresses but really need to be sure they don’t end up being mini’s on me when I sit down or put on some heels. I’m not 21 anymore and really don’t want to be showing too much leg just because the cut of the dress is a bit short.

Tall Wife
    23 May 2015 at 23:40

Yeah, the shirt thing is an issue indeed. I am thinking of investing in a few bespoke ones.

I always find a chair in the shop and sit on it when I am fitting as I agree; A bit of leg is OK for a night out, but not in a professional environment. And even on that night out, it needs to still be decent: I like to keep it classy.