Fashion

The Kitten Heel: Yay or Nay? Discuss!

kitten heel nudeThere’s a lot to do about tall women in high heels. The shorter half of society has a whole set of reasons why we should adjust our footwear because ‘otherwise we’re even taller’. I’ve never let other people’s height issues dictate my footwear, and I likely never will. However, I do appreciate that some women (tall or not) do not want to wear high heels or are not able to for whatever reason. Fair play. So what are the alternatives?

Flats, obviously, lower heels (like a block heel) or, dare I say it… The kitten heel. For me personally, this kitten heel is a total nay, but I have no reasonable argument why. It’s either flats, medium block heel, or a pump for me. Those weird little kitten heels just don’t do it for me, there’s no spark there.

Maybe it’s a thing from my childhood where a girl in my street was allowed to wear low kitten heels, and I didn’t understand how she could play and run in them, I thought they were a bit silly. It looks like the kitten heel never got rid of that image; impressions made at the tender age of 7 clearly last a few decades.
zara-kitten-heels

Whilst there’s nothing wrong with the shoe above theoretically (it’s a nice classy black shoe), the size of the heel annoys me. I’ve thought long and hard about this in the shower (sorry environmentalists! I ‘m a vegetarian, does that even it out?) and I think it’s this: I find the kitten heel indecisive. To me, it’s a heel that can’t decide if it wants to be a grown up or not, if it wants to be short or tall. It’s like that friend who can’t decide whether she wants to go out or not, so when you finally do go out, the restaurant is full. Or something like that. 😉

It feels it’s whispering this in my ear repeatedly:

indecisive

And nothing good can come of that!
Yes, I know calling a shoe indecisive is slightly ridiculous, but if I want an outfit to empower me, a wanna-be heel won’t cut it; there are enough decisions to make in a day, so I need footwear that knows what its wants: stand tall or stand not at all.
When I don’t want to wear heels, I’d rather go for a classy flat like these or these:

flats

My Zofie Shoes are the lowest heels I have at 3 inch / 7.6 cm. And I think I’m gonna keep it that way.  What do you think, ladies? Am I being too harsh on the kitten heel?
Is there a kitten heel advocate amongst you who can convince me they’re not all that bad, or should I accept the fact that even if I’ll never like kitten heels, I can still have feline shoes in my life, like these cute catty flats?

kitty shoes

10 Comments

Marc Jean-Louis
    25 February 2016 at 13:52

I just read your post. It was very well written! My first question for you is, at what height do you consider a pair of shoes heels and no longer kitten heels?

Tall Wife
      26 February 2016 at 23:17

Hi! I want a heel to be at least 3 inches!

CGHill
    25 February 2016 at 14:20

Reblogged this on dustbury.com in reserve and commented:
    If you can’t be a real heel, there’s nothing shameful about being a ballet flat. This in-between stuff, though, is none too flattering.

Sigrid Huntemann
    25 February 2016 at 22:31

Nay! I think they look a bit “fipsy” (OK, that’s a word I just made up but I can’t think of a real word to describe them). In high heels you just sort of walk differently and I don’t think that these kitten heels quite do that for you. I love having the choice of wearing flats or heels. I mostly wear flats (comfy!!), but sometimes I just feel like wearing heels. Most of my heels are about 3 inch high which is a comfortable height for me and my tiny feet. It puts me on a total of 1,90 m and that’s enough for me.

I’ve been following your blog for some time now and I like the mixture of fashion talk, health and travel. Thanks for sharing so much with us and keep on going!

Tall Wife
      26 February 2016 at 23:20

Haha! I love self invented words! 🙂 That made me laugh!
      I agree with you that kitten heels add nothing to your posture / walk!
      Thank you for your kind words about my blog, happy you like it! 🙂

tallfashionadventures
    28 February 2016 at 13:44

So my definition of kitten heels might be a bit different since I would consider anything between 1-2″ kitten heels and anything 2.5″ and above a bona fide heel but that’s probably because I never wear heels over about 3″ now (used to in my 20s but my back and feet just can’t take it anymore). I’ve owned kitten heels in the past but have never loved them. I’ve always felt they’re a bit awkward and have a total identity crisis as you’ve pointed out. I feel the same way about mini-wedges! I bought a pair from Cole Haan and immediately returned them because they made my feet look ginormous and were horribly unflattering. Wedges with a 2.5-3″ heel on the other hand are great for me as are flats. The flats you’ve featured are fabulous! Bottom line – I would rather wear a fabulous pair of flats or a shoe with a 2.5-3.5ish” heel than kitten heels.

Tall Wife
      29 February 2016 at 17:41

Hi! Agree! I find wedges always very cute on tiny girls with tiny feet, but when I see them in size EU42, they’re way less cute and a bit chunky. I had one lovely pair once but they gave me blisters so I never wore them…

tallfashionadventures
    29 February 2016 at 14:06

It’s me again! I just realized something when I wrote a shoe review yesterday. I don’t like kitten heels when they have a skinny stiletto heel but for some reason I don’t mind a 2″ heel when it’s more of a block or thicker heel. Hmmm…

Tall Wife
      29 February 2016 at 17:42

I’m with you, that is what I meant by kitten heel too. I have lower block heels too, i did indeed mean the silly mini-stiletto! 🙂

Allison @ The Tall Mama
    9 March 2016 at 10:45

I’m with you and Beth on the kitten heel that is a skinny mini stiletto – yuck! I feel it’s the shoe for those who want to wear heels but aren’t brave enough to actually do it. However, I don’t mind the mini wedge! Shoes, they are such a divisive topic!!!!!! x Allison