Lifestyle

The Long and Short of Hairstyles for Tall Women

One of my best read posts is a post I wrote in my very early days of blogging on haircuts for tall women (you can read that particular post here). As you’ll see, the post is not so much about what hairstyles would suit tall women, but it’s just me contemplating a longer a-symmetric bob (which I never got). Seeing the amount of reads that post get though, there clearly is an interest from tall women on how to style their hair, so I did some research and asked tall women on their thoughts.

One thing that became very clear was that there is no such thing as “tall girl hair”. Sorry. Some prefer short, some prefer long, some prefer mid-length. I too was hoping to go to the hairdresser and just ask for the ‘tall girl cut’, but nope, ain’t gonna happen.

I will give you the long and short of the feedback I got from various tall women, as food for thought next time you have an appointment at your hairdresser. Here we go:

Long hair advocates
1. Tall and broad shoulders? Quite a few ladies feel more comfortable with longer hair in that case, myself included, to cover those shoulders up.
2. Some tall women prefer long hair as they feel a bit boyish being tall.
Whilst I personally do not feel masculine because of my height at all, longer hair does make me feel more feminine, if that makes sense?
3. Being tall and having longer hair complements each other, they say
long collage 1

Short hair advocates:
1. Celebrate the long neck: show it off and rock that pixie.
2. Shorter hair is a bit more mature
3. Short hair is easier to maintain (though I’m sure the messy-bun lovers have a different opinion… 😉 )

short Hair

No miracle: long or short, whatever cut you choose, it should suit the shape of your face. I have to confess that I have serious trouble deciding on what face shape I have though, and those face shape pics with advice you find online aren’t helping much:

Face-Shapes

I know I can rule out square, and likely round too. But my face is a bit oval. And long as well I guess. On a good day, I see a hint of heart too. And aren’t diamonds a girl’s best friend? So this ain’t helping me much. I only know that I prefer my hair longer. It makes me feel me, it suits me.

IMG_7290

And that’s what it is; the most important thing is that if you feel happy and confident with it, you can rock any hairstyle you like. Long or short, tall or short.

Curl it, Cut it, Dye it.
At the end of the day, confidence is the best hairstyle.

9 Comments

HøFSisters
    21 July 2016 at 13:48

You’ve got me thinking about what face shape I have now… Definitely the top row! x

Tall Wife
      21 July 2016 at 14:28

Ha! See!! Happy to hear I’m not the only one in doubt…
      I think I’m going with oval. All I need is an office to go with it… 😉

Lauren
    21 July 2016 at 15:32

This was a great read Karen. There are so many opinions out there! I just chopped off about 6″ from my hair and have really been enjoying it. Trying the whole “rock the long neck” thing, and in my professional life, I feel a bit more mature with shorter hair. Only time will tell though!

XX,
    Lauren

Tall Wife
      27 July 2016 at 22:12

Hi Lauren! I do see your point on feeling mature. Maybe I just haven’t found a shorter cut that suits me, so I keep rocking the ‘use hair to cover shoulders’ look… 🙂

Allison @ The Tall Mama
    26 July 2016 at 07:52

I’m so happy to read that I’m not the only one who can’t figure out her face shape!! I think your hair suits you perfectly. As you said, it’s what you feel comfortable with. I prefer my hair to be shoulder length, it’s short enough to feel mature (I’m almost 40) but long enough for a messy bun or ponytail as I’ve never been one to spend a lot of time on my hair! x Allison

Tall Wife
      27 July 2016 at 22:14

I know, right!? So happy to hear that I’m not the only one either!! 🙂 I do need to have ponytail / messy bun length at least as well… I’ve started to pay a bit more attention on styling it, but on lazy days nothing beats an easy bun or sleek ponytail. 🙂

Siggi
    27 July 2016 at 20:29

I love your hair! I wish mine would grow out that long, but I never got there. Either because it starts looking messy (curls … not growing down but just sort of being bushy below the ears)or it’s summer and I’m too hot so I go and have it cut back to shoulder length. Which – by the way – does not even help much because I’ve got the impression that it’s the amount of hair that you’ve got and not how long they are.

Broad shoulders? Frankly, I think that us tall girls have some sort of trauma with broad shoulders because the usual clothes never fit and you feel like if you move your arms the sleeves will just explode out of the blouse. I never met a tall girl who does not think that she had broad shoulders (myself included). Of course, since we are taller, our shoulders might be wider than from our 5″ girlfriends – but does that mean that they are out of proportion for all of us? I don’t think so. It just can’t be true. I feel a lot better about myself since I found LTS and other tall brands where you can find blouses and jackets with properly long sleeves … and all of a sudden I think that my shoulders are pretty normal 🙂

Tall Wife
      27 July 2016 at 22:18

Thank you for your kind words! 🙂 I’d love some curls though! But then again, curly girls often wants straight hair… something with grass being greener… 🙂

And yes, you do have a point about broad shoulders…I know everything is in proportion, and I don’t have an issue with it, it’s just something I notice, but you are right, maybe it’s time to get over it… 🙂

Tracie
    5 January 2017 at 17:46

I think I am a diamond face shape. I am 5 ft 10, and my little sister is 5 ft 8. She has a pixie cut and is very thin naturally. She has a look and style that is the gamine look like Audrey Hepburn. She has tiny features and more prominent, pretty eyes. I am built more busty and broad shouldered. I am bigger all over than she is. My sister looks her best in anything from a shoulder length bob to a pixie. She looks with long hair like she is drowning in it.

I could not pull off short hair. I have long layered hair, too. I go between a little below the shoulders to above the bust line. I can do a bob or go layered or long and layered, but definitely there is no chance of a pixie. It would look masculine on me. My sister looks very feminine with hers.

I do feel like you do have to get a good hairstylist who understands the tall women issue. Whether you can pull off the short look or not, the stylist does need to be able to make the look proportionate on your features (which if you are tall may be larger than average or longer than average). My head is bigger than a lot of women’s. My forehead is wider. I have a longer neck, broader shoulders. No big deal, just that the hairstyle has to look right for that. Layers may fall lower to look better, etc.

I always take in a very specific picture (one they can really do something from), and describe in detail (in a friendly way, nothing demanding or rude). I try to get a photo of a tall woman or where you see more of the woman than just her hair and face.